Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cahir Castle and the Rock of Cashel (Day 7)

On our last full day, we went to see Cahir Castle and the Rock of Castle and then we went to our hotel in Dublin.   Our first full day, we spent flying down.  Our last day we spent flying back.  So we had 7 days of touring around on a 9 day trip.  I wish they could just transport us there and back so we could have had 2 more days.  Haha.  

We liked Cahir castle a lot.  It was a self guided tour, but it was a really neat castle.  The guys almost didn't make it in through the portcullis.   
It was raining so I had my hood up a lot, which the guys thought was funny.  Whatever.  Try having my curly mess of hair and tell me if you'd use your hood.  


This castle had a real moat!  Kinda neat.  
Ducks in the moat.  Must not me many alligators.  Or pirahnas.  Bummer.  Haha.
On the castle wall.
The inside was restored really neat with beams, white washing and neat old old  furniture on display.  A family had lived in it for years and years and it's only recently become open to the public.  This was a banquet hall.
Here you can see some of the plumbing they worked into the castle.  The pour spout from the top.
Then the splash pad at the bottom.  Haha.
Another restored room.  Neat to see how things look with the floors and ceilings in place.
Cool furniture too.  Each piece had a plaque saying when and where it came from.
Pretty impressive walls.

Another view of the moat.

I just thought this shot of the town was cool.  I think this is in between Cahil Castle and the Rock of Cashel but I'm not sure where.  We stopped for scones and I snapped this. 
Here's the Rock of Cashel.  I was expecting a castle like the others.  It was actually a church.  It was a castle or stronghold intermittently but never owned by a single family or royalty.  It had absolutely beautiful views and you can see it from miles around.

The cathedral part was really gorgeous.

There were some really really old tombs outside and, surprisingly, some really new ones.
I found scads of Bridgets over there.  Kinda neat, kinda depressing!  Haha.
They also discovered some really amazing bright artwork that the church had deemed inappropriate at some point and tried to paint over (and then plastered over).  They are in the process of restoring it, but it's more than a 1000 years old.  Slow work.  Most may never be recovered.

This was the cross from the top of the cathedral that was supposed to have some mystical powers.
It's being restored in many places.  Here's a shot from further away.
They had some cool displays of what life was like in the 1500s.  Check out the doorway behind Whit.  People must have been really short then...


Here's a popcorn popper!! (Haha, kidding.  I have no idea what it was.)
This is all being restored, but it looks awesome.
The chapel area.
A tomb.  They were pretty intricately carved at some point.  I think these people stopped paying their dues though because these areas are pretty unkempt.  ;)
Gorgeous views from the cemetery.  I think I want to be buried here.  LOL.

All in all, it was a good way to end the day.  We then went to the Castle Hotel in Dublin.  Also kind of hard to find, but it was an interesting last hotel.  Here are the guys in the reception area.


We also saw this hotel--called Cassidy's hotel.  Since Whit's sister is named Cassidy, we thought it was worthy of note.  I had no idea she owned a hotel in Dublin!  I would have stayed there instead! 

\
Here we are at the airport the next morning.  It was so sad to go home, but I really really missed the kids.  Really missed them.  Sorry I needed one more really!  What a fun trip!! 



3 comments:

Cassidy said...

I like to keep my businesses around the world private. :)

Grandma Carla said...

Lots of fun pictures. I think the 'popcorn popper' is a bed warmer. you put coals in the pan and slide it under the covers to warm the covers and the mattress. You have to keep it moving or you can set it all on fire though I would imagine.

Unknown said...

I've been there - so gorgeous!