Thursday, August 22, 2013

Castle Leslie

Since we'd traveled all the way from the Scottish highlands that morning (and gotten up at like 4 am!) we were very tired when we finally came down a strange and very hard to drive road and into the little town by Castle Leslie.  A little pre-story.  I had heard there were castles in Ireland that were open to the public and had been restored as hotels.  Castle Leslie was one of them with really good recommendations.  They had two options.  You could stay in a lodge that is state of the art, or you could stay in the main castle house, which was only restored to the original way it was 100 years ago when the family last lived there.  Each room is named after the family member who occupied it.  It has plumbing from 100 years ago, and so forth.  All the furniture is at least 100 years old and most of it is the furniture that was in those rooms when the family lived there.  

If you know me, you'll understand I just HAD to stay in the old family rooms.  Whit and I got the Seymour room.  We only stayed one night (because it was pricey) but I kinda wish we'd stayed two.  The thousand plus acre estate boasted gardens, fishing, horseback riding, shooting, and a spa.  It was LOVELY and that's an understatement.  Even the toiletries were period.  They had hand milled bars of soap in each room (I took mine back home with me!) and Whitney didn't like it but the toilet was old school!  I thought it  was SO NEAT.  I had just gotten the pink scarf (cashmere with handmade lace) at the Giant's Causeway earlier that day.  It was pretty chilly there at Castle Leslie so I wore it!  Wow it was an experience!  This would be a GREAT honeymoon spot! 


Here's Brian in his room.  I can't recall who lived in his room.  They each had little old fashioned hand turn keys and big canopy beds.  COOL!
This is the main castle house we stayed in from the back (garden side).  Pretty huh?

 Here's the stables.

This was the little garden behind the castle proper (where we stayed).  There was a hilarious write up by the great grandson of the original earl of the castle.  We were all laughing.  They had some truly funny family members.

We ate dinner at the "NOT nice" restaurant that didn't require reservations. If this was the not nice one, I wonder how nice the "nice" one was, because this one was pricey and delicious!


We sat outside to eat because it was beautiful and we could.  However, it got really cold before we finished.  In general, no one is in a hurry over there.  I mean, they never give you your check until you hunt them down and ask them to bring it to you.  It's a cultural quirk, I guess.  It's kinda nice when you're on vacation.  Everyone just takes their time.  


 This was the next morning.  The breakfast that was included with our stay was wonderful!!


 Then we walked around for a while.  You couldn't help but want to linger.  I'm telling you, we got out just in the nick of time.  I'm sure they were thinking of charging us for another day.  Haha.


 Cool tree that Whit climbed and then pulled me up into!!



 The whole castle was gorgeous!  This was some tile inlay in the front entry.
 This was the sitting area in front of the dining room (where we had breakfast.)  I think I was made to live in a castle like this... ;)

These were a few shots I took of the castle interior with my iphone.  I just wanted them documented.  They used the woven carpet that was period for 100 years ago, and all the paintings were done by family members!  Some of them were good, some bad and some just kind of sad!  Haha.  




All in all, it might have been the best part of the vacation! :-)

No comments: