Monday, May 25, 2009

How we met

Emma pestered me into submission on reading a book she read for one of her classes. It is a GREAT book! It's called the Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work. Obviously Whit and I are not having marital problems, but even so, the book was really helpful!! It helped me realize how solid our relationship is in almost every area, but also goes into ways to improve your communication and strengthen even your areas of success.

One of the things it discusses that prompted this post is the couple's "fondness and admiration" for the other. It says that the way in which a couple tells (or remembers) their story of courtship, beginning with how they met, is an indication of how strong this particular element is for them. I thought back to how we met with fondness... and admiration. Hahah. Seriously though, thinking about it made me want to document it. Mostly this blog is just so that the story will be included in the blog book Cassidy has talked me into making in a few months (on my one year Blog-i-versary.)

Emma and I had a good friend in the singles ward, Clint Jones. He introduced us to various anime films, came over to eat a lot and went to see movies with us. He also just came over to hang out and was a good conversationalist. Clint Jones, although a good friend, wouldn't have made the blog except that we owe it to Clint that Whit and I are married!!

It all began on November 12, 2005. He invited Whitney to an Austin singles activity... and I was the Activity Committee Chair. I was pretty busy at the activity, but Whit had asked Clint to point out any girls pursuing a grad degree or who had one (so he could avoid the preteens--haha) and Clint had pointed me out. Apparently Whit liked what he saw (25 pounds less than he sees now...*sigh*) and came over to talk to me as I was eating some grapes at the refreshment table. He tells me now that he was impressed I had pulled off such a succesful and fun activity. It was hard to fail in any activity at the Rollins Ranchm of course.

We only talked briefly. He played his trump card, telling me he was in medical school. I fixated on the fact he was still a student and some of the effect was lost. The tiny part of me that had for years told my Doctor Hungry mother, "No mom, he's not in med school", or, "nope, not a Doctor, just an accountant" reared up and paid attention, though. Haha. He also, very politely came over to tell me bye when he left for the night and commented on how fun the activity was, proving he was courteous.

The moment of truth came a few days later. Whit had asked Clint for my number and called me. I was on my way home from work when he called and when I answered the unfamiliar number he said, "Hello." I asked, "Who is this?" He said, "Your best friend in the world." I said, "Mom?" (I talk to my mom all the time--at least once a day!)

He recounted to me later it impressed him that I was so close to my mom. He then proceeded to explain he had gotten my number from Clint Jones and asked if I would go on a date with him. NO HANGING OUT, or AKWARD hedging. He called and asked me out. He said later that he listened to the "Eye of the Tiger" to get up the guts to call and ask me out! Whatever works!

Our first date was great. He showed up dressed nicely and I had to change because I was in jeans. I was impressed he wanted to make a good impression. I found out later he had just come straight from work! He was terrified when he saw my dog--he hates dogs. He decided I was worth it, though, and pursued me in spite of my dog!

We went to Trudy's and as usual had to wait an hour to get a table. We talked the whole time and near the end of dinner, I found myself inviting him to accompany me to my work Christmas Dinner. (A formal affair.) He said he was thinking in his head, "Sweet--it's going well--she's asking me to see her again." He took me to a bookstore to walk around and look at books. He had no way of knowing I loved books. He hugged me at the end of the date. I had had such a great time, but none of my roommates were home, so I texted him saying, "I had this great date tonight--I really like the guy. None of my roommates were home, so I thought I would tell you instead." He called me and I talked to him for his whole drive home.

Now I think all of you readers (all three of you) should recount YOUR stories of how you met Mr. Right. :-) Do it with fondness and admiration!

3 comments:

Cassidy said...

I'll have to write mine AFTER I post pictures. I've had too many posts without pictures.

Grandma Carla said...

A very enduring and endearing story. You called me before your date to tell me you had a date and you said you really couldn't remember what he looked like, but he was so forthright about asking you on a date, that you were intrigued with him. You also told me not to get my hopes up, but that he was in medical school. 'Oh, for joy!' I thought, but said, 'That's good.' as non-excited as I could manage. The real prize though was that he is such a thoroughly wonderful person - kind, warm, caring, fun, and faithful. You even called me after the date to tell me what fun you had. That is the only date that I got such immediate updates on!

Clint said...

Eek! You got me. Actually, we just recounted our story - with sincere fondness - twice over the past two days. I LOVE hearing "how you met stories" and had fun reading yours. Linsey