Monday, September 7, 2009

What kind of Parent are you?

Eli just loves Finding Nemo. At first, it scared him. It's scary! The swordfish, the diver, the sharks, the jellies, the whale... *shivers*

One of my favorite parts of the movie is when the baby turtle is telling Marlin how to get off the EAC (East Australian Current.) Marlin can't understand what he says, which is also how I feel with Eli a lot lately. I know he's trying to say something, but for the life of me, I have no idea what! It's nice that Eli likes to watch movies I enjoy now too, and you know it's a good movie if I still like it on the 100th time through.

Where am I going with all this rambling?? Today we went to catch some Labor Day sales at the Hershey Outlet malls. There's a playground so Whit watched Eli while I took perfect baby Dora around with me to do some shopping. I now understand how my CRAZY sisters in law could go shopping with their babies. Dora is AWESOME. She's SO easy to shop with--they got Doras, not Elis. No wonder they liked it!

Now, on to the point. I went to check on Eli and what did I see? *GASP* Eli was hopping from bar to bar on an arching ladder up to the slide and play tower at the top. I almost had a heart attack.

I said, "Whit! What's he doing?"

To which he responds, "Oh he's done that like 20 times."

Another dad at the playground helpfully chimes in, "At least."

I realized, that I am Marlin. Like Marlin, I am terrified that ANYTHING might happen to my kid and so I totally baby him, to his detriment. I don't think I can really change overnight but I guess I have to let Eli do his own thing. He did great today! He's a big boy now!! Are you a Marlin, too?

Of course, there's the opposite end of the spectrum. Are you Crush? He waits to see how his kiddie does "flying solo" before stepping in.

I guess I need to lighten up or Eli might just be scooped up by a diver when next he defies me! :-)

6 comments:

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

I am a Marlin and I too am working on it... it is hard to let your little one fuss, but they have to figure this world out and sometimes they need mom and dad to let them.

Randi said...

I think we are all a little like Marlin and at times we are a little like Crush...with social interaction I am a little like Crush..I threw Sierra into a McDonald's playground and told her to go make friends at 3...she is now a pro...I am now starting to do it with Logan...but like you, when it comes to behaviors that are physical I fall into the Marlin catergory...but to be honest, most of the time I feel most like........
DORY!!!! Lost! HEHEHE!!!

AmyB said...

I am much more of a crush~ Not sure if it is a good thing or not. just the way I have chosen to parent.

Grandma Carla said...

I might have to watch the movie again - I didn't even remember Crush - good that you put in his picture... In any event, it doesn't matter which kind of parent I was - whichever I was (and it was probably a combination)it is pretty much in the history books by now! Just knowing my personality though, I imagine I was more of a Marlin!

Clint said...

When it comes to high objects, streets, parks, etc. I'm totally a Marlin - you gotta protect your little fishies. But, I suppose, when it comes to Hayley being around other kids - I'm Crush all the way. Hayley's a bossy little thing; she can hold her own. But, with Colin . . . I guess we'll see at his first playgroup next week. (Linsey)

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure i am a little protective...but all in all i think more like Crush..i let them try anything once and I'll be there to catch them if they fall...but i don't limit them very much. Anyhow, and i can only shop well with my children because they love to snack on candy while i shop...plus shopping was much, much easier before they could walk. Poor Eli didn't stand a chance at liking to shop. I am sure that Whitney would whisper in his ear each night before bed how evil shopping was...men, they try to control so many things. :) LOL