Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sea World Trip 2: Adventures with Nana

We loved Sea World so much that we decided to go again--twice. (For a total of three times!) Part of that might have had to do with the fact that we got tickets for Sea World and Busch Gardens that were good for unlimited usage for a two week period... and Sea World was just a few minutes away from our resort.

I loved petting the manta rays when I was a kid--in fact, one of my favorite stories (in retrospect) was when Jesse and I were at Sea World in San Diego at the Manta Ray pool. You can reach in and pet them. I recall thinking it was SO neat. For those of you who didn't know him, Jesse could tan 3 shades in an afternoon. Literally, the boy could not rest his left arm in the car window while driving because it would be a different color from the rest of his body after an hour or so. During the summers, he turned SO dark, he looked Mexican. I used to call him my "little Mexican boy." Spare me any lectures on being racist--it wasn't meant to be derogatory in any way of course, and I was like 10 years old.

Well, I went up behind him while he was petting a manta ray and put my arms on his shoulder. I said, "Hey little Mexican boy".

Whoops. It really was a little Mexican boy. He ran off screaming for his mom. Jesse almost died laughing.

That was a pretty big tangent. But, not only did Sea World have a manta ray pool where you could pet them, which sort of scared Eli, but I loved it... they also had a glass bottom pool where you can see them from below. I guess I might feel a little violated if I were the manta ray, but as a shameless observer, I loved it. Here's a shot of Eli under the rays--these are a few photos I forgot to include from our first trip.



Eli and I "finding Nemo". He called the big ones Dada, and the little ones Eli. He thinks he's Nemo and Dada is Marlin. Ha.

I love this shot! He was entranced by the schools of fish.


Back at our hotel room, baby Dora had a ball. She loves to stand, and just like Eli used to do, pulls your hands off her waist or trunk and insists on holding your hands to stand. It's cute but kind of annoying. Pardon my totally wet and nappy hair!


Smile for Grandma!


When we went to Sea World for the second time, Emma came along. Here's a family photo outside the park. Dora is happy as always!





We saw a flock of flamingos being herded into their pen. Apparently at Sea World (and we found out later, also at Busch Gardens), the animals on display are only one group of many. They get "time off" and are only on "display" for the tourists a fraction of their lives. That ensures they are excited to see people and are active, apparently. At Busch Gardens, they have 5 prides of lions, and they rotate them so they are all excited to see the people. It was pretty neat to see the changing of the guard of the flamingos--just following their ...trainers? Not sure what to call the people who tend them! Tenders? Ha.


The manatees were really NEAT. The photos don't do them justice because they are so BIG you couldn't really get them all. They were eating heads of lettuce when we went, and they were so cute!! (In an ugly way). They are seriously fat, though, and kind of the black sheep of the underwater world, apparently.



Another dolphin show... we never missed it. It was Eli's favorite show.





Here he is with the cast of the dolphin show.

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a fun trip, Bridget....and you're looking might slim, too!

Grandma Carla said...

I like the Finding Nemo shot too! Glad you two crawled up in there for the picture. I think the Dolphin show was my favorite show too, although at SeaWorld in San Antonio, my favorite is the Shamu show. What a fun photo journal of the trip!

Anonymous said...

So fun that you got some great shots of him and his reflection in the window/glass. The dolphin show is pretty great we should all do sea world in san antonio one time when you are in town...my kiddies love it. YOu took some great pictures that I am sure Eli will love looking at and remembering some of the things/animals that he saw.