Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mom's Mistake

A few weeks ago I made a pretty big mistake. Eli was happily watching the Incredibles on TV while I cooked. Stupidly I thought, hey, why not involve him in the cooking process?? I had seen such cute photos of the twins "helping" mom cook. Plus, it's better than watching TV, right?

Mom's big mistake, plus Eli's "MINE" have been a very bad combination!!! EVERY time now, and I really do mean every single time, I am in the kitchen doing anything, Eli comes running in chanting "Me" over and over and pushes his chair (a wooden chair he has claimed as "mine") over to the counter so he can "help" and by "help" he really means he wants to do every single thing. He wants to add all the ingredients, including cracking the eggs. He wants to stir. He wants to flip the french toast (I am thinking of this morning). But when I am making soup or something, he wants to cut up the veggies. ANYTHING that needs to be done, he wants to do.

What's his favorite thing, you wonder? Pushing down the toast and cracking the eggs. He loves those. We have way more toast than anyone wants in our house because he loves to make it. Also, Whit made a little mistake and put ice in his water once. Now he wants ice in his water all the time--and he can reach it since the freezer is on the bottom.

Why, oh why, didn't I just let him watch the Incredibles in peace!?

Live and learn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, helping hands in the kitchen can be a bit more work...the twins started off wanting to do everything and now I explain to them that they have to take turns. So I crack the eggs, then Jocelyn gets to add the sugar, Jesse add the powder and then I add the milk....so this way I control what parts they are doing. Good luck, and take a few photos along the way. Their favorite thing is baking...that is about the only thing I let them help with because I don't let them near the stove. Just wait till dora wants to help too! :)

Grandma Carla said...

All good! Learning at his mother's side - what a fun challenge for you and him! Grandma Jean used to cringe that I let you kids help - when you were about 5 you would make the salad for dinner all by yourself. You couldn't understand why you didn't get to help at Grandma's though.
It does tend to impede rapidity however!