Saturday, October 24, 2009

Eli meets some Critters

The Briarcrest (where Emma works) had a Critter meet and greet a few days ago. Eli and Nana and I all went. Whit stayed home with the baby since it was pretty late.

Eli was an eager beaver to touch and see the Critters.

Here is is holding a screaming cockroach, shudder...

This is him raising his hands to get chosen to hold the scorpion. Mommy vetoed that one. He saw other kids raising one hand and he raised two each time!

Here's Emma holding the scorpion! YIKES!



Emma and Nana waiting on the first snake.



Ick! It's an albino cornsnake I think (with snakes that means no brown or black, apparently.) Did you know that with one exception (a coral snake), any snake in North America with a big head is venomous and with a little head is not?



Inspecting the snake...


This is a lizard, but I can't recall which kind. I think it might be the blue Skink, which is a funny name.



Here's his talking bird... Eli liked touching the bird. Plus, see? I was there.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this creeps me out! i am sooo not an animal person at all...critters...wow, you are a brave mom to let Eli near all the snakes etc. I would be terrified that mine would then think it was okay to touch one if they happened to see one in the backyard from the creek...eeek...Clearly Eli LOVED it.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh man. I can't believe Eli's non-hesitancy. I thought man was automatically scared of snakes! Funny to think he's learning the concept of raising his hand. I'd never thought about kids having to learn that.

I'm with you. I'd have chosen a picture with the bird, too.

I love the cockroach picture. Man, you captured it perfectly.

Grandma Carla said...

I'm glad you posted pictures of this. Emma told me about it and I was anxious to see pictures. You got some great shots - Emma is fearless to hold a scorpion and a snake - Eli is fearless as well, but that is to be expected - he's a little boy! I thought I'd taught Emma better!