Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Holy Grail

I have decided to share my quest...and my failure.

Last night Dora woke up at 1:30 and simply refused to go back to sleep. We were up until 3:30 am!! Staying awake with a grumpy baby for two hours at night is not fun. To add insult to misery, Eli woke up at 5:45. Of course, I can't wake up Whitney to help because the poor guy was working until 3 am--I know, as I was awake when he came home! On top of that, he had to be back at work at 8 am.. so no help (or sympathy) from him!

This morning Eli and I played trains, colored, ate, threw up (him, not me) and generally made big messes and had big fun (other than the throwing up part. He feels fine--just choked on a pretzel.) All in all, a very normal Tuesday.

And then it happened.

Eli was really whining, and I issued the threat. "Do you want to go take a nap early?"

He said, "Yep", which is his yes.

He grabbed his blanket and started marching upstairs. I picked my chin up off the floor and followed him--although all I had to do was lift him into his crib. He merrily deposited his blanket next to him and smiled at me.

This is not the holy grail. That came moments later. Dora went to sleep, too. I lay her down, and then, singing Hallelujahs in my head, I lay down on the sofa by her bassinet. I had just drifted off to sleep, having finally gotten the holy grail of mothers with two young children--the SIMULTANEOUS NAP when...

WAAAAAAAH!!! Dora woke up.

So rest safely in your beds, on your couches or wherever else you people with no children, one child who still naps or no young kids sleep... The holy grail is still out there--unattainable.

Oh yeah, and here are some photos and a video for my mom. I bought Eli some new jammies, that have a crab on them. My mom taught him what crabs do. Please ignore my voice. I sound like a homeless smoker, but actually it's the result of my recovery from a cold. I actually feel just fine now--I just sound like an old man with esophageal cancer (which I can say because my grandpa had it)...



This first photo is Whit holding Dora in the outfit Libby sent for her. Cute little cherry outfit, right?



The second photo is just Dora smiling--nothing special but I am still a sucker for it. Eli really likes both the monkey and the banana on her onesie. He says "anana" over and over and points, and also makes the monkey noise and points.

The third is Eli in his crabby shirt. I couldn't get him to pay attention to me. He kept playing with his train and watching Blues Clues!!

The final one is Dora in the outfit I had to search for online. I saw Jocelyn in the tomato hat and loved it. Unfortunately the only size they had was 3-6 months, so she's a little small to wear it right and it'll be warm when she can wear it so I am documenting it now.

4 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Eli doing the crab is so darn cute.

Ohhhh...man, the nap was so close, too. So close.

Cassidy said...

Oh your voice is SEXY!!! hahaha. love the pics!!!! Sorry that you were SO CLOSE to having a double nap time! Next time. . .
I'm just glad it wasn't the phone that woke them up. Grrr. . . that always makes me so mad.

Grandma Carla said...

Love the video, the narrative, and all the pictures. Isadora, I think you're getting chubby cheeks. You may fit that next larger size before you know it because I'll bet you're filling out everywhere! Sorry about your nap, Beej - that's is pretty demoralizing when it happens.
~Lerdle-la

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

I think she might be the best dressed baby out there!
And the crab is hilarious. At least Eli still takes naps, Liam gave them up once Owen was born, but we do do quiet time, no naps but quiet...