Saturday, March 6, 2010

It's Officially Begun!

This morning, Eli helped me make french toast. We do this a lot, with either pancakes or french toast. After selecting his specific piece (which he has a surprising number of opinions on), I cut it up for him and let him do his own syrup. (He always insists.) Sadly, MEAN OLD MOM wouldn't let him marinate his french toast in syrup like he wanted; I cut him off. Apparently, this was a horrible move on my part. He cried and threw a little tantrum and I took him up to his room (where the interior handle has a child safety handle) and left him to stew.

A few minutes later, I went to get him and he was in a better mood. Unfortunately, when brought into close proximity with said french toast again, he renewed his requests for more syrup. When I denied him again, and he started to whimper, I warned he would have to go right back up to his room if he cried more. He looked at me and said, "Mom Mean. Where Dada?" I told him Dad was at work, but Dad would tell him the same thing as mean old Mom. No more Syrup. He did not think that was true, "No Dada nice." He insisted. Great. We are apparently already trying to play one parent off the other. And why am I getting the short stick here!? (Probably because dad IS nicer and WOULD give him unlimited syrup.)

On a side note--French toast used to be my favorite. Back when I was trying to lose weight, I made a splenda pumpkin pie. I substituted Splenda for Sugar, Egg beaters for eggs, skim milk for cream and apple sauce for shortening in the crust. It was too much and the pie was awful. But, at the same time I was delighted to trade the good, thick, soft bread for my low fat, tiny, skinny, bread, the eggs for egg beaters, the syrup for no sugar syrup and the butter for spray on no cal butter. If I could still have french toast, it was okay. I have made one trade since then--I use the good bread. This morning though, my french toast with egg beaters, skim milk, no sugar syrup and spray on butter tasted like Splenda pie. Maybe I am losing the desire to stay skinny! Hahaha.

1 comment:

Grandma Carla said...

I thought I'd commented on this - I've talked about it to several people. Senility isn't a pretty thing!
It's so funny that he's already learning to play you by calling you mean.