Sunday, November 9, 2008

Crafts!! and such...

So yesterday was "Super Saturday" for Enrichment. I am the first to confess-- I never go to Enrichment. It's sad, really. I can count on one hand the number of Enrichment/Homemaking activities I have ever been to... in the last 10 years I have been eligible. No wonder I get stuck teaching gospel doctrine instead of getting a fun Relief Society calling!! I think I started out skipping initially because I thought it was for old women (sorry!) and then I just got into the habit of not going!

I have been trying to do better. I went to one a few months ago, and another one yesterday; the one yesterday is called Super Saturday and I think they do it once a year. It's about 4 hours of crafts (if you get there on time.) I have always considered myself a "craftsy" person. I scrapbook the real way (aka, not on a computer!), make cards by hand, quilt, crochet and have done embroidery before. I don't really sew, but I figure the quilting gets me past that.

I realized on Saturday that while I have a lot of hobbies, I am NOT a craftsy person. There were craftsy people in spades and I had not done much of the types of things they had there... I grossly miscalculated how long most of the things would take, so I signed up for 5 things, and only completed 3 at the activity. I am proud of all of the things I did yesterday, but most proud of the wreath. I have NEVER done anything with fake flowers and wreaths scare me. I had some help from one of those craftsy people (thanks Suzette), and actually the sign in the wreath took the longest, but isn't it all pretty!? Also those blocks are cute, and that Fall needlework took a long time to sew/embroider. Here are the three I completed there:




I didn't want to lose my momentum, so I went and bought a hot glue gun last night after Whitney and Emma went to work. It took almost three hours, but I made my second to last of the projects (I just took the materials and blueprint for these puppets home...) They are nativity puppets made from felt. Aren't they cute!? They take much longer to make than you would think!! Emma made a set, too. Anyhow, I have to make 4 Christmas tree ornaments, still, but otherwise I am all done with my projects from yesterday.

Two other things. Whit has been working like a dog lately. (Pity for Whit) Yesterday I snapped a shot of him in his scrubs. He thinks they look lame, but I think he looked HOT! I love seeing him with his coat and stethoscope... HOT! He could be on a TV show.
Also, doesn't Eli look cute in these jammies? They are from Grandma Stuckey, OF COURSE, but I liked the "I'm no Bully" with the frog and dog!! She also got him a superman set and a really cute one with a shark and little fish that says, "Best chums" or something. hahah.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man! I'm big time coveting your nativity puppets and I totally want one really really bad. Do you have a pattern or something I could make some? I just love them!

Cassidy said...

Holy cow! I didn't think you were blogging, and low and behold you have like 5!!! Sorry I've been a crappy follower! I'll do MUCH better! I want the puppet pattern too! Let's do them together Jackie

Grandma Carla said...

The puppets came out really cute! Good job. In fact, I'm impressed with all your projects - my favorite would be the needlework pumpkin, I think.
Whit is handsome - no denying and Eli is a show stopper (as always!)

Chris and Suzette said...

Thanks for showing me all your finished projects! You are crafty and got soo much done in just a short amount of time really! You really did do a GREAT job! I agree your wreath turned out beautiful and your puppets look fabulous. As for the pattern, I will e-mail you the complete set. :) you can get 4 sets of puppets out of 1/3 yard of each color of felt. (10 different colors) I suggest going to Jo-Ann's with coupons or wait till it is 2.99 ish/yd on sale otherwise it can get really expensive. Save all your scraps to make the little extra pieces and then just get some extra embellishments to fancy them up. HAVE FUN!
Suzette

Dan and Dee said...

so fun to catch up with y'all!
I liked your projects-makes me miss Super Saturdays...I want the blocks!! j/k They are so cute!
Eli is a doll and it is honestly a thrill to see Whitney in his scrubs/doctor "getup" b/c he has had this dream for a very long time.
Way to go Whit!

Anonymous said...

wow look at you blogging...I didn't even know! And you are very crafty. Love all of the projects. We were out of town for our super saturday but I would have liked to have gone. Adorable nativity puppets...but since they took so much time to make, are you ever going to let Eli play with them?

Clint said...

What cute crafts!!!!! I so wish we had a Super Saturday like that! I especially love the little Nativity figurines. They are adorable! Linsey (although it always shows up as Clint).

Clint said...

Nativity "puppets," I meant "puppets." :) :) :) Linsey

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

Hot Hot Hot!
Or MRSA MRSA MRSA???
You decide