Saturday, June 6, 2009

Money and Politics

I have been reading two books simultaneously lately, alternating which I take with me to the gym. One is The 5000 Year Leap by Skousen, and the other is The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko.

Obviously these books cover vastly different issues. I have found reading both to be delightful! I am learning a lot, and relearning even more. I just thought I would share a quote from each that I particularly liked.

First, from the 5000 year leap. The book attempts to pinpoint the cause of our 5000 year leap forward that followed the establishment of America (to greatly dumb it down). It does a great job of explaning a lot of phenomena that slip through the cracks in the current political discussions of our day. For instance, the founding fathers worried a great deal about big versus small government. Today that debate has largely been forgotten, consumed by the debate (a worthless one) between the right and left parties, or communism and fascism. BOTH are a tyrannical government. The difference to the people governed is nill.

It also explains an issue Linsey and I took an entire class on during law school... the separation of church and state. This concept has been WIDELY misunderstood (or pardon my french, bastardized) in today's political circles. The founders intended to set up a government that fostered multiple religions, and encouraged religious freedom. They understood how much good could be done by strong religions. The planned to do this by setting up what was later referred to as a WALL of separation (in a LETTER) between church and state at the federal level. In fact, as people seem to forget, 8 states actually had established religions! This wasn't proscribed at all by the founders. They wanted to encourage religions and indeed in many cases religions used public buildings to meet. This was also encouraged, as long as all religions were afforded the same opportunity.

I loved this quote on the issue. I am sure you all know who de Toqueville was, but in case you forgot, he's a frenchie who came to study the success of the American Experiment to explain to the French how America was doing so well (France was struggling with liberty in the wake of its bloody revolution) in maintaining freedom, peace and liberty. Ironically, de Toqueville found that religion, widely believed at the time to be the opposite of liberty, was the CAUSE of America's freedom. He says,

"I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodius harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless praries, and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

This scared me!! I think to a large extent America has turned her back on being good. No wonder we are worried we may not be great for much longer.

Okay so the other quote I have is more a clever insight, but I really liked it too. The Millionaire Next Door is mostly about how to take a normal person's life and turn it into one of wealth accumulation. It's a really great book... but I loved this... "Have yo uever noticed those people whom you see jogging day after day? They are the ones who seem not to need to jog. But that's why they are fit. Those who are wealthy work at staying financially fit. But those who are not financially fit do little to change their status."

I had a lot of insight to share on this one, but my kids are both crying now, so I will leave it at that!

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love reading Skousen. I went on a trip with him to Israel when I was younger and have loved him ever since. Thanks for the quotes. Powerful. I loved this post and very much agree with de Toqueville. It's a modern voice on a Book of Mormon teaching.

Unknown said...

Jon's friend recommended that Jon read the 5000 Year Leap. He has tried to get it at the library but there is a big long wait...so if you own the book he wouldn't mind borrowing it!? :)

Martin Andrews said...

Hey Bridget! I really enjoyed those two quotes and believe in them a great deal. I've been told to read Skousen by several people. You may have just pushed me over the edge. Real America still is here outside the large metropolitan areas but I fear that we are becoming largely outnumberd. In regards to your other quote about financial fitness, do you remeber the dandruff commercial with the two guys walking while one asked the other, "But you don't have dandruff?" Head N' Shoulders baby!!